The Australian Shipbuilding & Repair Group (ASRG) is the recognised peak industry body representing and promoting the capability of the Australian shipbuilding and repair industry sectors and the wider marine community to the domestic and international market.
The ASRG was formed as a result of a merger between the Australian Shipbuilders Association (established 1963) and the Australian Ship Repairers Group (established 1971).
The ASRG is the established and recognised industry body representing the Australian Commercial and Defence and other marine industry sectors providing:
- Immediate circulation of details of enquiries and opportunities to all members for construction and/or maintenance (including voyage repairs) for all vessels, from Cruise ships to Superyachts.
- Eligible members are able to take advantage of the ASRG Preferred Supplier Scheme when submitting tenders etc to fellow ASRG member companies.
- Promotion of member companies’ capabilities through Austrade (Australian Trade Commission) and other agencies for comprehensive international and domestic marketing purposes on behalf of the Australian Commercial and Defence marine industry sector.
- Professional and up-to-date advice is provided to members relating to marketing and support and including export and other Government grants, international banking, insurance, port security requirements, legal, crew and other visas, tax including details of eligibility for GST exemption, environmental issues, classification societies, etc.
The ASRG is formally represented on behalf of the Australian marine industry sector to all relevant Government agencies (predominantly through Government category membership) including:
- International Maritime Organisation for International Legislation and to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority for Domestic Legislation.
- Department of Infrastructure, Transport & Regional Development for port security and other issues, including Maritime Security Identification Cards and Defence security requirements.
- Department of Agriculture Fisheries and Forestry for issues including introduced marine pests, antifouling, hull cleaning etc through appointment to the Department’s Marina and Slipways Working Group.
- Department of the Environment for Emissions Reduction and Energy Efficiency issues.
- Department of Defence including consultation for the Defence White Paper, procurement, tender processes, port security etc
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation.
- Various other Australian Government Departments as well as State & Territory Governments through their membership of the ASRG
Other representation through Government membership category of the ASRG includes:
- Austrade (Australian Trade Commission)
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority
- CSIRO Division of Manufacturing Technology
- Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
- Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, including the National Measurement Institute
- EFIC (Export Finance & Insurance Corporation)
The ASRG has established affiliations with relevant industry professional bodies including:
- Australasian Institute of Marine Surveyors
- Australian Business Defence Industry Unit
- Boating Industry Association Australia Ltd, including BIAs of NSW, SA, QLD & NT
- Australian Defence Association
- Australian Industry & Defence Network
- Defence SA
- Engineers Australia
- Export Council of Australia
- IMarEST (Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology)
- Maritime Industry Australia Ltd (formerly Australian Shipowners Association)
- Royal Institution of Naval Architects
- Shipping Australia Limited
- Submarine Institute of Australia
- Sydney Aerospace & Defence Interest Group
- Tasmanian Maritime Network
- Victorian Defence Association
The ASRG coordinates training courses for the benefit of the Australian marine industry including a Dockmaster Course, comprehensive and refresher, which is recognised by the Royal Australian Navy, insurance companies world-wide and other professional entities, international and domestic. The next course to be conducted in Australia is scheduled to be held 15-18 November, 2016. Further information is available through the ASRG office at email@example.com.